AMPLICON / AMPLIMER dilemma

camdna at ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu camdna at ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu
Wed Aug 5 20:07:00 EST 1992

In article <9208052105.AA15110 at phobos.med.pitt.edu>, bsh at MED.PITT.EDU (Basavareju Shankarappa) writes...
>Can somebody resolve the difference between 'amplicon' and 'amplimer'
>Is it time to develop a consensus and use one of these.

There doesn't appear to be much difference in the popular jargon (which
doesn't mean there is not a _real_ difference, I just don't know what it is).
I know that "amplicon" is also used to refer to the segment of chromosomal
DNA that has been amplified _in vivo_, such as at the DHFR locus in certain
CHO cell lines. In this sense, "amplicon" is analogous (homologous?--here's
another one to tackle) to "replicon".

DN