Vector databases

Brain Foley brianf at dna.uvm.edu
Tue Dec 1 17:50:43 EST 1992

YES!  Please create a new vector database!  Or convince NCBI to create
one.  I know that Invitrogen provides a BBS from which you can download
their vector sequences, but when I downloaded the sequence of pCEP4
and compared it to pBR322, CMV promoter, hygromycin-resistance genes
and other things from which pCEP4 was created I found several errors in
the pCEP4 sequence.

Thus, if you create a vector database, please provide some quality control.
I believe that the main reason GenBank does not carry vector sequences is
because of this lack of quality.  Not many vectors have actually been
sequenced.