guanidine life span

Andrew Hobbs andrewh at uniwa.uwa.edu.au
Wed Dec 2 02:15:40 EST 1992

Loryn Sellner (loryn at microbiol.uwa.oz.au) wrote:
: I have just recently started using a guanidine thiocyanate extraction method
: for extracting viral RNA. I want to know how long the extraction solution
: can be stored for and under what conditions (i.e. frozen, at 4 C, etc.).
: Any information from other people using this method would be greatly
: appreciated. The extraction solution contains 8M guanidine isothiocyanate,
: 50mM Na citrate, 100 mM 2-ME, 1% sarkosyl, 1 ug/ml yeast tRNA.
: Ta.
:
: Loryn Sellner
: Department of Microbiology

I have used the guanidinium (iso)thiocyanate solution up to 3-4 months
after making up and storage at room temperature, as long as the 2-ME is
omitted.  I normally add 2-ME just before use to just sufficient
solution.  I'm not sure I would keep it for more than a few days with
the 2-ME included.

Andrew Hobbs
Biochemistry
University of Western Australia