Kits again!! was Re: Random Priming, etc.

Jarmo Niemi TUY JANIEMI at FINABO.ABO.FI
Thu Dec 3 12:20:07 EST 1992

In <1992Dec2.224606.20299 at news.yale.edu> ALSOBROOK at biomed.med.yale.edu writes:

> > AAAArrrgggghhhhh
> > A person will understand a procedure if he wants to understand
> > the procedure. Forcing him to waste time and money
> > making the reagents up helps noone.
> >
> > Mike "kitkitkitkitkitkitkit" Poidinger
> > Dept of Flame
> > University of Reading
>
> I do agree with you.
>
> It is perfectly possible to understand how a kit works without having
> personally purified and mixed each component yourself; you could even
> follow recipes and make up a kit without knowing what the hell you're
> doing - happens all the time (probably at most companies that sell kits!).
>
> Now strapping on the asbestos pads...
>
> If you've got beaucoup-bucks, no problem; if one needs to be thrifty,
> making up the reagents in a kit as simple as a random-priming kit
> SAVES MONEY -- one tube of hexanucleotides is enough to make dozens
> of kits, and I for one don't think it's wise to have several special-
> purpose kits in the freezer, each with its own opened tube of polymerase.

In my previous life I was an industrial biotechnology researcher with my
own budget and industrial-salary people working for me, and I would like
to point out, that the time of research personnel is actually _very_
expensive. Your standard reagent kit cost as much as about three days
of a researchers time. If you could save a week by using a kit, it was
economical.

I agree, that it usually is not economical to buy as a kit
something that you need constantly, and that when there is a need to
know and understand what is going on, a kit is not a good idea. But
there will be things that you only need rarely, and you don't want to
spend weeks to get it to work technically. That's where kits come handy.

Jarmo Niemi   Biochemistry, University of Turku
              SF-20500 Turku
              ++358-21-6335758
              janiemi at finabo.abo.fi

"You may quote me"
	-this sentence
		(quoted from Douglas R. Hofstadter:Metamagical themas)
			{therein reprinted from Scientific American,
			January, 1981}
				[and probably published even before]