Vector databases

Bruce Roe broe at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
Thu Dec 3 08:22:00 EST 1992

In article <1992Dec2.163200.13285 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk>, rlippens at ULB.AC.BE writes...
>>We are thinking of building up our own database, but before we recreate
>>the wheel, does anybody out there have such a database?
>>Cheers, George Murphy
>
>        That would be GREAT to settle a DATABASE OF VECTORS and
>        I give you all my encouragments in such a HARD TASK !
>        I feel that molecular biologists really need a database of
>        REFERENCE and not just another vector database...
>        I stress the new database should be RELIABLE and COMPLETE
>        especially regarding the SEQUENCES.  I mean, don't do like
>        Intelligenetics in their vectorbank, where for example
>        records related to vectors of pIN-I-AI type contain just the
>        sequence of the linker (%60 BP)!
>  +  Lippens Renee               | Internet : rlippens at ulb.ac.be  +
>  +  Computer Support Assistant  | EARN     : rlippens at bbrbfu60   +
>  +_______________________________________________________________+

George, Lippens, and others interested,

        The NLM already has such a database and you can use it
via sending mail containing your sequence to the NCBI's computer.
They also have an ALU database, both of which we search almost daily.
So "the wheel" need not be re-invented.

HOWEVER, WHAT IS NEEDED IS THAT THE NCBI PUT THESE DATABASES AT AN
FTP SITE SO THAT THE REST OF US CAN OBTAIN THEM AND USE THEM LOCALLY
RATHER THAN VIA THE INTERNET. If I'm mistaken and they are available
from an ftp site, could someone please inform us all?
PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE  :-)

For those not familar with the Blast e-mail server.
To receive the instructions on using the BLAST e-mail server, send a
mail message to:

        blast at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Put the word 'HELP' on a single line in the body of the mail message.  No
Subject line is needed.  The BLAST manual page, appended to the end of the
help text, describes specific BLAST program functions.

Cheers.......bruce