Kits again!! was Re: Random Priming, etc.

the End jgraham at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
Wed Dec 2 22:01:44 EST 1992

In <1992Dec2.224606.20299 at news.yale.edu> ALSOBROOK at biomed.med.yale.edu (John Alsobrook) writes:

>> AAAArrrgggghhhhh
>> A person will understand a procedure if he wants to understand
>> the procedure. Forcing him to waste time and money
>> making the reagents up helps noone.
>>
>> Mike "kitkitkitkitkitkitkit" Poidinger
>> Dept of Flame
>> University of Reading

>I do agree with you.

>It is perfectly possible to understand how a kit works without having
>personally purified and mixed each component yourself; you could even
>follow recipes and make up a kit without knowing what the hell you're
>doing - happens all the time (probably at most companies that sell kits!).

>Now strapping on the asbestos pads...

>If you've got beaucoup-bucks, no problem; if one needs to be thrifty,
>making up the reagents in a kit as simple as a random-priming kit
>SAVES MONEY -- one tube of hexanucleotides is enough to make dozens
>of kits, and I for one don't think it's wise to have several special-
>purpose kits in the freezer, each with its own opened tube of polymerase.

>So Mike, do you buy big jugs of 5X TBE from Sigma? If you can afford it,
>good for you, but otherwise...

No.

I've pointed this out here ad naseum. You don't seem to see the real problem
with kits:

1. They are causing a tremendous inflation in the cost of doing research.
You may think you have "beacoup bucks" but in fact those taxpayers who support
you do not.

2. They reduce exchange of information between researchers, as aptly
demonstrated every day in this forum, by making this information proprietary.

The only excuse for getting a kit pertains to those kits (eg. USB's Sequenase)
which have full disclosure of all materials and techniques. Even these
need only be bought once. Luckily those who insist on wasting precious
resources (eg. our English friend) will be probably be consitently eclipsed
by those working without the false sense of luxury afforded by certain
research environments. If someone finds mixing one's own buffer solutions
a "waste of time" he had best find another hobby.

Cheers,

Jim
Jim Graham
Biology and Chemistry Departments