Anchor PCR

Martin Kennedy cytogen at chmeds.ac.nz
Thu Dec 3 17:31:47 EST 1992

In article <1992Dec2.112017.13530 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk>, sbhattac at crc.ac.uk (Dr. S. Bhattacharya) writes:

> Hi all
> I've been trying to do anchor PCR from a lambda gt11 library without success.

(stuff deleted)

> Shoumo Bhattacharya

These comments may be based on ignorance, but  I always find it difficult to
understand why there is a need to do PCR on whole libraries in any case.  As
any library is not a perfect representation of cellular message, why not just
do anchored PCR on a cDNA prep from the cells of interest?  If you get a PCR
version of the cDNA clone out of the library you're really going to have to
screen the library and pull out a phage to verify the sequence anyway.  If
you'd like anchored PCR protocols that seem to work well on cDNA derived from
total cellular RNA, drop me an e-mail message and I'll send them to you.
Screening libraries may seem old fashioned and painful, but it is still an
essential and often the best way of getting as gene!

Cheers,

Martin