TB1 (E.Coli) Any Info Helpful

Michael Benedik bchs1b at Elroy.UH.EDU
Fri Dec 4 02:29:53 EST 1992

In article <1992Dec3.182959.10559 at vax.oxford.ac.uk>, dnicker at vax.oxford.ac.uk writes:

>	Am looking for genotype and important characteristics of E.Coli Strain
>TB1, ref.
>		Sliger(sp?), S.G. et.al.
>Biochem.Biophys.Res.Comm.,169,1016-1020 (1990)
>
>	TB1 is mentioned in this paper, but no reference given, and all
>attempts at identifying this strain have failed.  Anyone heard of it?
>
>	Thanks in advance for any help you may provide. . .
>
>							Darren Nickerson
>							D. Phil. Student
>							Univ. of Oxford
>
>E-mail: DNICKER at VAX.OX.AC.UK

There is a standard strain TB1 used in a lot of molecular biology
labs. I don't know whether that is what you have or not becuase other
people may have called their strain TB1 also. But the standard strain
is an hsdR- derivative (restriction minus) of JM83.
genotype should be: F- ara del(lac-pro) rpsL phi80dlacZM15
in other words the relevent genotype for you is
blue white screen for cloning in pUC and derivatives, F- so no M13,
Pro- so needs proline on minimal plates, restriction minus, strep resistant,
Some version of TB1 floating out there also have a Tn5 which was used
to transduce in the hsdR allele, but the real strain is not supposed to
have it. The precursor to TB1 accidentally got released for awhile.

 Michael Benedik				INTERNET: Benedik at uh.edu
 Dept. of Biochemical & Biophysical Sciences
 University of Houston				BITNET: Benedik at uhou