Vector databases

cherry at OPAL.MGH.HARVARD.EDU cherry at OPAL.MGH.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Dec 3 19:47:35 EST 1992

>In article <3DEC199207220167 at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu>, broe at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu (Bruce Roe) writes:
>>        The NLM already has such a database and you can use it
>>via sending mail containing your sequence to the NCBI's computer.
>>They also have an ALU database, both of which we search almost daily.
>>So "the wheel" need not be re-invented.
>>
>>HOWEVER, WHAT IS NEEDED IS THAT THE NCBI PUT THESE DATABASES AT AN
>>FTP SITE SO THAT THE REST OF US CAN OBTAIN THEM AND USE THEM LOCALLY
>>RATHER THAN VIA THE INTERNET. If I'm mistaken and they are available
>>from an ftp site, could someone please inform us all?
>>PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE  :-)

The vector database available via the blast server is the same
database as was provided by GenBank/LANL. This collection of sequences
was created last April. It was provided via anonymous ftp from
genbank.bio.net until October. It is now available via anonymous ftp
from ncbi.nlm.nih.gov, look in the directory repository/vector.

Mike