magic mp & sequenase

Hugo Eric eric at bcserv.wustl.edu
Fri Dec 4 08:38:29 EST 1992

gagnon at vax.ox.ac.uk writes:

>pnh at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov (Paul N Hengen) writes:

>>>I also am curious about this.  I was recently given some samples of the
>>>Promega system, which claims to act "more effectively than silicon-based
>>>media" but is used in a manner VERY similiar to powdered silica, except it
>>>uses guanidine HCl instead of NaI.  (Both are chaotropic agents, so the
>>>binding mechanism is probably the same.)...
>>
>>What is the binding matrix of the Promega mini-prep column used in this kit?

We just got a kit from Promega and upon looking at the matrix solution
I was reminded of a time when I broke up some glass fiber filters
(accidently, Whatman GFC).  I wonder if you put some GFC filters in a blender
with 7M GdnHCl whether you would recreate the so called 'magic' resin.
Just a thought.                              Eric
  Eric R. Hugo, Postdoctoral Research Associate |eric at bcserv.wustl.edu
  Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics|
  Washington University School of Medicine      |
  Box 8231, St. Louis, MO 63110_________________| (314) 362-3342