Advice on video of Ethidium Bromide gels needed.

Ross Whetten rosswhet at forbt2.nrrc.ncsu.edu
Wed Dec 9 11:32:34 EST 1992

In article <ByuwzJ.n21 at nic.umass.edu>, AAT at UCSVAX (Gus Trautweiler) writes:
|> The lab I'm working in is in the process of converting from the use of Polaroid
|> snapshots to a video system for the recording of Ethidium Bromide stained gels.
|> The following is the set-up is what we have AND is currently unsatisfactory in
|> comparison to the Polaroid.  We have considered buying a scanner and lots of
|> film vs the video. The problem is not enough resolution. Please email any
|> experiences or advice.  It will be greatly appreciated. Thank You!
|>
|> 			Sony video graphic printer	UP-870MD
|> 			Sony video camera		AVC-D7
|> 			Sony camera adapter		CMA-D7
|> 			Fujinon-tv zoom lens		H6x12.5R, 1:1.2/12.5-75
|>

|> Gus Trautweiler (The Reporter Gene!) *%%*     *%%*       *%%*     *%%*       *%%
|> Plant & Soil Science: Biotechnology  |  | % % |  | %   % |  | % % |  | %   % |
|> University of Massachusetts  |   %   |  |  %  |  |   %   |  |  %  |  |   %   |
|> AAT at UCC.UMASS.EDU   |     |  | %   % |  | % % |  | %   % |  | % % |  | %   % |
|> %*     *%%*      *%%*     *%%*       *%%*     *%%*       *%%*     *%%*       *%%

Gus,
When you say not enough resolution, the first thing that comes to mind is failure to
resolve closely spaced bands. This is not a problem I have had (I don't own a video imaging
system yet, but I have demo'ed several). My major complaint has been insufficient
sensitivity, which can only be solved by buying a more sensitive camera, a frame integration
device or an image amplifier. One item that you don't mention in your list is a
bandpass filter to block the UV and IR emissions from the light box, but I presume you have
one or you wouldn't be seeing bands at all.
Regarding the scanner: I have a HP ScanJet Plus on a Mac IIci and I use NIH Image to analyze
the images. This is a nice set-up for doing analysis, but it doesn't replace Polaroids;
the Polaroid pictures are what we scan to get the image into the computer. When we get
the video system set up, we'll dispense with the Polaroid photography and the scanner and
send the gel image directly into the computer.
I'll be happy to share more of my experiences with various camera systems if there is interest,
either by mail or in the newsgroup.

Ross Whetten
Research Assistant Professor
Forest Biotechnology Group