Vent and exonuclease activity (was Re: PCR enzymes...)

Ashok Aiyar ashok at
Thu Dec 10 19:41:55 EST 1992

In article <10DEC92.16070206 at> wetsel_r at writes:
>Through conversations with him, it is his experience that Vent polymerase (I
>believe this is the one) has more exonuclease activity that the original Taq.

Vent has a 3' - 5' exonuclease activity (proof reading) which Taq doesn't.
Without raising any questions about the fidelity of delta-Taq,  Vent's
proof-reading ability is one the primary reasons we have switched enzymes
to Vent.

                              Ashok Aiyar
                      Department of Biochemistry
                       CWRU School of Medicine