recovery of proteins from phenol

Agustin Vioque vioque at cica.es
Fri Dec 11 04:37:27 EST 1992

I have a highly purified protein that I want to silver stain on a gel. The
protein is contaminated with a large amount of RNA which will also silver
stain. Toget rid of the RNA I have tried a treatment with NaOH (10', 80C,
0.1 N) but a get a smear of partially degraded RNA upon staining of the gel.
I am thinking of doing a phenol extraction, but how can I recover the protein
from the phenol phase in a way suitable for SDS-PAGE? If anybody has an
idea I would appreciate it very much. Sorry for my poor english.
A. Vioque
vioque at cica.es