Plant protein isolation

BOB MCNULTY bmcnulty at OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU
Thu Dec 17 11:28:37 EST 1992

	I am working on an extraction of a plasma membrane protein from plant
roots.  After separation in an aqueous phase system (dextran/PEG), I have
not had luck with phenol extraction of the protein from the membrane for
second dimension electrophoresis (the protein precipitates with methanol,
but transfer to the gel is poor).  I am considering n-octyl-B-D-
glucopyranoside, but need suggestions as to concentration, incubation, and
mostly a method to remove the detergent for 2-D electrophoresis.  Due to
funds, columns aren't really an option, and I have an extremely small
membrane pellet, so a series of detergent test ratios is hard to commit to!

               Thanks in advance.
        ////////      "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition
       (       )        from mediocre minds."
        \ @ @ /                          A. Einstein
Bob McNulty, CA. STATE UNIV., CHICO
BMCNULTY at OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU