DNA from Polyacrylamide Gels

Paul N Hengen pnh at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov
Fri Dec 18 13:04:21 EST 1992

Basavaraju Shankarappa (bsh at MED.PITT.EDU) wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any company that sells a kit
> for extracting DNA from polyacrylamide gels.

    -- stuff deleted --

Then, C. Victor JONGENEEL (vjongene at isrecmail.unil.ch) wrote:

>Another (and easier) way is to electro-elute your DNA from the gel.
>There are several commercial systems available to do this....[etc.]

If you don't want to buy the very expensive unit for electroelution,
you might try using a few odds and ends around the lab. For example,
this could easily be done using a microtitre dish and a small cappillary
tube. Heat the cappillary tube and bend it to form a U-like structure.
Fill the tube with electrophoresis buffer using a micropipettor. Then,
place the tube so that it spans two of the titre dish wells. This can
be done in an array so that several can be done at the same time. Tape
a bent platinum wire into each well and connect your power supply. You
might consider testing this first with a dye solution. This is a simple
and CHEAP method that is a modification of those published:

@ARTICLE{Karuppiah1992,
AUTHOR = "N. Karuppiah
        and P. B. Kaufman",
TITLE = "Rapid and inexpensive micro-electroelution of nucleic
        acid and protein from agarose and polyacrylamide gels",
JOURNAL = "Biotechniques",
YEAR = "1992",
VOLUME = "13",
PAGES = "368"}

@ARTICLE{Sandhu1989,
AUTHOR = "G. S. Sandhu
        and B. C. Kline",
TITLE = "Inexpensive micro-electroelution apparatus for
        extracting DNA from acrylamide and agarose gels",
JOURNAL = "Biotechniques",
YEAR = "1989",
VOLUME = "7",
PAGES = "822-823"}