Cleaning electroporation cuvettes

forsburg at vax.path.ox.ac.uk forsburg at vax.path.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 15 03:32:25 EST 1992

In article <11DEC199208222046 at comb1.comb.umd.edu>, belas at comb1.comb.umd.edu (BOB AT COMB) writes:
> In article <David_Nunn-101292131312 at tsikar1.life.uiuc.edu>, David_Nunn at qms1.life.uiuc.edu (David Nunn) writes...
>>Anyone have a good method for cleaning cuvettes for electroporation?
>>Especially useful would be methods that remove any trace bits of DNA, yet
>>do not take a toll on the lifetime of the cuvette (no flames please, I know
>>they are sold for single use, only :^).
>>
>>David Nunn, Ph.D.
>>Department of Microbiology
>>University of Illinois
>>Urbana, IL 61801
>>(217) 333-6131

We electroporate yeast.  I routinely wash out the cuvettes in a mild
detergent, rinse them thoroughly, soak them in EtOH (often overnight) and
then dry them in a sterile hood.  I've been using the same set for a year now,
and they are just beginning to show some cracks.  I havent seen any sign of
carryover of cells or DNA in my expts.

susan forsburg
vax.path.ox.ac.uk