Acid washed sand

Bruce Roe broe at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
Fri Dec 18 07:36:00 EST 1992

In article <92352.133614LAKSHMAN at MAINE.MAINE.EDU>, LAKSHMAN at MAINE.MAINE.EDU writes...
>We are trying to isolate nuclei from a fungus (R. Solani)
>using a protocal which calls for "acid washed sand" to grind the
>mycelium. Does anyone know how to acid wash sand (we are trying 50%
>sulfuric acid overnight, is this appropriate)? Also why does it
>need to be acid washed? Perhaps to remove any metal ions?
>
>Thanks,
>Dilip
>DILIP LAKSHMAN                             LAKSHMAN at MAINE.MAINE.EDU
>DEPT. PLANT BIOLOGY & PATHOLOGY
>UNIV. MAINE AT ORONO
>ORONO ME 04469

Dilip,
	It's along time ago that I did that, but as I recall, I just
used concentrated HCl directly out of the bottle. Let it sit for 15 min
and then rince extensively with distilled water.  Acid washing the sand
will remove organic material that might be contaminating the sand.
	Cheers........bruce