Acid washed sand

Andrew Hobbs andrewh at uniwa.uwa.edu.au
Mon Dec 21 00:54:06 EST 1992

LAKSHMAN at MAINE.MAINE.EDU wrote:
: We are trying to isolate nuclei from a fungus (R. Solani)
: using a protocal which calls for "acid washed sand" to grind the
: mycelium. Does anyone know how to acid wash sand (we are trying 50%
: sulfuric acid overnight, is this appropriate)? Also why does it
: need to be acid washed? Perhaps to remove any metal ions?
:
: Thanks,
: Dilip
: DILIP LAKSHMAN                             LAKSHMAN at MAINE.MAINE.EDU
: DEPT. PLANT BIOLOGY & PATHOLOGY
: UNIV. MAINE AT ORONO
: ORONO ME 04469

Hi,

We routinely use acid washed sand for DNA extraction from plant
material.  We obtained the sand prewashed from BDH Chemicals and use
directly from the container.  If necessary we bake the sand in the oven
(ie to get rid of nucleases etc for RNA preparation).  The product
number from BDH is 33094.  I'm sure other manufacturers have similar
products.

Andrew Hobbs
andrewh at uniwa.uwa.edu.au