Removing RNA from a mixture of protein and RNA

Christo Houbaviy lihouba at
Sat Dec 19 15:27:04 EST 1992

In article <9212171610.AA02023 at> bsh at MED.PITT.EDU (Basavaraju Shankarappa) writes:
>	Hi folks:
>	Sometime back there was a question about removing RNA contamination
>from a purified protein solution.  Among the many suggestions that were
>provided including precipitating proteins selectively some were neat.
>	There is one more way.  US biochemicals sells a large list of
>immobilized enzymes and RNase A is one of those.  I think this would be
>a good idea if you can purify the ribonucleotides away from the protein
>or if it does not matter.

I think that this is a _great_ idea. Getting rid of the
ribonucleotides should be no problem - one can use gel filtration or
ultrafiltration (e.g. Centricon).

>Raj Shankarappa
>Univ of Pittsburgh
>bsh at

Christo Houbaviy [lihouba at]
Department of Molecular Genetics and Virology
The Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel