Acid washed sand

Paulo Magalhaes pamaga at biobase.aau.dk
Mon Dec 21 10:51:39 EST 1992

Hi, concerning

<LAKSHMAN at MAINE.MAINE.EDU> writes:

>We are trying to isolate nuclei from a fungus (R. Solani)
>using a protocal which calls for "acid washed sand" to grind the
>mycelium. Does anyone know how to acid wash sand (we are trying 50%
>sulfuric acid overnight, is this appropriate)? Also why does it
>need to be acid washed? Perhaps to remove any metal ions?

>Thanks,
>Dilip
>DILIP LAKSHMAN                             LAKSHMAN at MAINE.MAINE.EDU
>DEPT. PLANT BIOLOGY & PATHOLOGY
>UNIV. MAINE AT ORONO
>ORONO ME 04469

In my "previous life" I worked with _Neurospora crassa_ and one of the
things essencial in preparing DNA (for example) is grinding with acid
washed sand. I don't have the exact protocol in my head (we only did
it about once a year, with enough sand to last for quite a while...),
but if you're really stuck, I can dig it up for you. This posting,
however, was more of a note on a different key: you don't mention
the SIZE (average diametre) of the sand you use... In my experience
this is an important parameter, so do check it!

Anything you may need, just shout.

Regards,

Paulo
RH