Reliable binding of proteins to nitrocellulose

marder at agri.huji.ac.il marder at agri.huji.ac.il
Thu Feb 27 16:37:50 EST 1992

In article <1992Feb27.092905.1 at agri.huji.ac.il>, marder at agri.huji.ac.il writes:

>> In article <1992Feb24.183900.7485 at nlm.nih.gov>, states at artemis.nlm.nih.gov (David States) writes:
>> <Stuff on protein binding to nitrocellulose deleted>
>>
>> Something that is kind of unusual turned up in the current Analytical
>> Biochemistry that may be of interest to protein blotting people.  In the paper,
>> the authors claim to be able to do Western blots onto Xerox paper (that's
>> right, plain copier paper) which had been pre-treated with methanol.  They show
>> very nice Westerns probed with antibody, and claim 3-fold sensitivity over PVDF
>> membrane.  Anyone have a comment on this? (I'm a DNA/RNA blot person, so I am
>> not qualified to assess this method).
>>
>> Daniel Kim
>> kim at flovax.lanl.gov
>>

> A reference would be nice.  The "current issue" could be any one of several
> which will arrive here over the next few months.

Surprisingly, I was in luck and found the above paper in the February issue
of Analyt. Biochem.  The reference is:-

Yom, H.-C. and Bremel, R.D. (1992) Xerographic Paper as a Transfer Medium
for Western Blots: Quantification of Bovine alphaS1-Casein by Western Blot.
Analytical Biochem.  200, 249-253.

Daniel's description is accurate and the data presented looks pretty
convincing.

Apologies to S&S, Millipore etc.  (unless they have been deliberately
witholding this information).

                                 '      Jonathan B. Marder
Internet: MARDER at AGRI.HUJI.AC.IL :      Department of Agricultural Botany
Bitnet:   MARDER at HUJIAGRI        : /\/  The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Phone:    (08 or +9728) 481918   :/  \  Faculty of Agriculture
Fax:      (08 or +9728) 467763   /      P.O.Box 12, Rehovot 76100, ISRAEL