Bind-Silane treatment of gel plates

Rick Wilson rick at GENEMAN.WUSTL.EDU
Thu Feb 27 15:48:16 EST 1992

from djt2 at po.CWRU.Edu (Dennis J. Templeton):

>We buy cheap window glass and treat them as disposable plates.  We have
>recovered the plates when the work-study student is bored by hydrating the
>gel for a few minutes, then scraping the gel onto a towel with a putty
>knife, (radiowaste) and soaking the plates in 0.5 M KOH for 30 minutes.

Just toss your plates into a tray of dilute Det-o-jet solution (VWR Scientific)
and let 'em soak overnight.  The dried gel will rehydrate and float up off the
plate.  You can skim up the gel in (usually!) one piece and throw it into your
hot waste bucket.  After a good rinsing, the gel plates are ready to go again.

RW, St. Louis