Cetus' Gems

John Nash num208jn at MBDS.NRC.CA
Wed Feb 26 09:20:08 EST 1992

In article <1992Feb26.041215.12272 at usenet.ins.cwru.edu>, ccy at po.CWRU.Edu (Cheung C. Yue) writes:

>In a previous article, dadler at u.washington.edu (David A. Adler) says:
>
>>I just checked on the price of Cetus' PCR Gems:
>>	$125 for 200-220 nuggets
>>A good, but expensive, concept for hot starts and avoiding chloroform
>>extraction.
>>Seems like a lot of money for what is likely to be very clean little pieces of
>>parafin wax. Anyone try making these themselves?
>>
>>--
>>David A. Adler                  Pathology SM-30
>
>I quite agree.  Perhaps we can form a co-operative experiment wherein
>each laboratory tests several brand and lot numbers of waxes.  Anybody
>interested?
>
>C. Cho Yue
>ccy at po.cwru.edu
>
>--

G'day net-folk...

A sales rep told me a neat trick to avoid chloroform extraction to
remove mineral oil from PCR and linear-amp sequencing.

Put the sample on a square of Parafilm, and the oil spreads out while
the sample remains as a droplet.  You can then pick it up with a
micropipette, and you only lose a fraction of sample.  (I usually get
49 ul back from 50 .. end result ==> Chloroform? What chloroform?

cheers,  John.

Dr. John Nash,                       |
Cell Systems Section,                | Email:
Institute for Biological Sciences,   | Preferred: John.Nash at NRC.CA
National Research Council of Canada, | or       : num208jn at mbds.nrc.ca
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.             |
      ==>  Disclaimer:  All opinions are mine, not NRC's!  <==