PCR primer melting temperature

R. Mark Adams ma690188 at mbir.bcm.tmc.edu
Mon Feb 24 09:23:56 EST 1992

Please forgive me if this is a FAQ, but I am looking for a set of references
that give a method for the calculation of exact melting temperatures of small
oligonucleotides of the sort used for PCR primers.  A phone call to Perkin Elmer
tech support got me nowhere, so I thought I would post on the Net and see if anyone has had any more luck than I have in locating this information.  The problem is that the method that most people use for calculating the Tm of oligonucleotides is not applicable to anything smaller than 50bp, and alas, this is much larger than my PCR primers.

Any help would be welcome.  I will summarize any email that I receive here.

|                                | ma690188 at mbir.bcm.tmc.edu        |  |||||  |
| R. Mark Adams, N5YYY           |                                  |   - <|  |
| Department of Cell Biology     |"It is a small world,             |    v |  |
| Baylor College of Medicine     | But I wouldn't want to paint it" |   \_/   |