DNA isolation

brknig01 at uctvax.uct.ac.za brknig01 at uctvax.uct.ac.za
Fri Feb 21 02:21:54 EST 1992

systems, I can offer the following: In a recent Nuc. Acids Research an article
appeared in which plant material is squashed onto a hybridisation membrane (in
the presence of NaOH etc.). The membrane can then be stored or used immediately
for use in PCR reactions. This method was designed for rapid screening for
horticultural / agricultural applications.

I have not tried it yet, but will do so in the near future. Doug Prasher's
moths, being a squishy sort of organism, might be suited to this type of
procedure.

The reference is: Nuc. Acids Res. Vol19(24):6954. Langridge et al. Squashes of
plant tissue as substrate for PCR.