LCR

Hideya Yoshida hyoshida at ddbj.nig.ac.jp
Thu Feb 20 12:59:09 EST 1992

=====Preliminary experiments of exchanging articles between bionet=====
=====and FBIO at NIFTY-Serve [please read the bottom of this article]=====
==== start of included article ====
  Hi! Jun! Konnichiwa!  Sorry for using Japanese here :-)

  I don't know how to post response, so asked my friend Dr. Yoshida
to forward following LCR message which was found from my log stock
file.

  If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to connect NIFTY-
serve, and join us "Bio-Net baiofooramu (Janglish style of BIOFORUM).
We CAN accept messages written in Japanese Kanji and Kana.

  Yoshinari Watanabe, Dept. Biochem. Fukui Medical School. JAPAN
  (SYSOP of SDI00606%FBIO at NIFTY-Serve)
  ywatanab at ddbj.nig.ac.jp(can read Shin JIS Kanji)

**from bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts.***

;  5 Dec 91 02:18
;Keith Robison: >Ligase Chain Reaction: Sensitivity
;bhjelle at vaxine.unm.edu (Brian Hjelle) writes:

;>Pretty soon everyone will have read the blurb in Science about the
;>wonders of LCR.

;>I was ready to give it a serious shot (my PCR primer bill is already
;>as large as the GNP of some countries) but was put off by a comment
;>near the end that LCR was less sensitive than PCR.

;>Is LCR really less sensitive than PCR, all else being equal?

;>Before you answer, let me just say that sensitivity is a big issue
;>in my lab, because we are looking for viral DNA that is 100-1000X
;>less abundant than a single-copy mammalian gene, or about 1 part
;>in  3  billion. We frequently try new primers that turn out to be
;>useless because of low sensitivity, even after lots of "optimization".

;>Brian

;According to the original paper (see below), LCR can definitely detect 200
;target sequences in a sample.  Whether it can go lower wasn't tested.

;LCR won't lower your primer bill, as you still have to make oligos.
;However, you don't need any nucleotides.

;F. Barany.   1991.  Genetic disease detection and DNA amplification using
;   cloned thermostable ligase.  PNAS 88:189-193

;Keith Robison
;Harvard University
;Program in Biochemistry, Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology
;robison at nucleus.harvard.edu

***end of forwarding message***

==== end of included article ====

FBIO at NIFTY-Serve:
   "Bio-Net biofoorum", a electronic-forum in NIFTY-Serve.
   NIFTY-Serve is one of the largest BBS in JAPAN.
!!!NIFTY-Serve is not reachable from Internet, Bitnet, etc.!!!
!!!Please do not send mails to an address like ***@NIFTY-Serve.!!!
Please feel free to contact hyoshida at ddbj.nig.ac.jp about this
"experiments" exchanging articles between bionet and FBIO at NIFTY-Serve.

hyoshida at ddbj.nig.ac.jp; (NAH00326 at NIFTY-Serve)

Dr. Hidaya Yoshida
Lab. of biological communications,
Res. Institut for bioresources,