hybridization in glass tubes

Peter M. Muriana muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu
Wed Feb 19 08:21:05 EST 1992

In article <1345 at news.duke.edu>, cjs at canctr.mc.duke.edu writes:

>In article <9202181256.AA03343 at genbank.bio.net>, suter at VAX.MPIZ-KOELN.MPG.DBP.DE writes:
>>dear netters,

stuff deleted

>>if I used glass tubes, I could get very interesting looking smears on the
>>exposures...a nice conversation piece, but alas not publishable.
>
>Were you using siliconized tubes? We have found that our blots come out much
>cleaner than what you would see with seal-a-meal bag hybridization. We
>use the glass tubes from Robbins and pre-treat them with Sigmacote. We appear
>to have no interference from the glass and no label remains attached to the
>tubes.
>Caryl Schwartzbach

The original posting stated a problem with smeared hybridization filters
resulting from "glass" bottle hybridizations. Yet subsequent responses have
pointed to the use of "glass" bottles instead of plastic bottles.  Although
this may result in DNA/probe sticking to the bottles, what does this have
to do with smearing on the filters?  I thought this would be a problem
of stringency in the hybridization or subsequent washes?

	P.S.	Instead of spending nearly $2,000 for one of these bottle
		hybridization incubators (just an incubator with a
		rotisserie inside), buy a hemotology bag rotisserie (same
		thing) for ~$300 and put it into any incubator you choose.

    Name: Peter M. Muriana
Internet: muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu
   Phone: 317-494-8284