microtube homogeniser?

Andrew F. Cockburn afc at gnv.ifas.ufl.edu
Mon Jan 27 08:47:00 EST 1992

In article <B9201221645.AA01844 at uk.ac.aberdeen>, nhi336%uk.ac.aberdeen at VTVM2.CC.VT.EDU (J.STERNBERG) writes:
> I'm posting a request from a colleague. He is looking for a
> supplier/manufacturer of homogeniser pestles designed to fit
> eppendorf tubes which he remembers having used previously in
> the U.S.
> Any ideas? Thanks,
> Jeremy Sternberg, Dept of Zoology, Aberdeen University, Scotland
> <j.sternberg at uk.ac.aberdeen>

The best source is to manufacture your own.  We put about 250ul of epoxy
or other resin in a 1.5 ml eppi tube.  Before this hardens, we insert
a small headless nail (brad) that has been hammered into the end of a wooden
dowel.  This serves as a handle.

There are two advantages.

1: cheap.
2: guaranteed to fit the brand of eppi tubes that you buy, not a generic
tube.
Andrew F. Cockburn          INTERNET: AFC at gnv.ifas.ufl.edu
MAVERL/ARS/USDA             Gainesville, Fl, USA 32604