Mutation Selection

Michael Benedik bchs1b at Elroy.UH.EDU
Thu Jul 30 23:25:33 EST 1992

In article <1992Jul30.144803.34203 at urz.unibas.ch>, herzer at urz.unibas.ch writes:
>I would like to look at the mutation rate of certain strains of E. coli
>and am looking for genes within E. coli for which mutations could be
>screened for efficiently.  For example, a gene which aquires a mutation
>such that it does grow on a certain plate whereas the wild-type would
>die; or color difference, etc.  Any help would be most appreciated.
>
>                                  Sincerely,
>                                             Peter
>                                             "Herzer at urz.unibas.ch"

There are a large number of these, for example resistance to
nalidixic acid, rifampicin, valine and numerouse others. There is a chapter
on selectable phenotypes in the E. coli and Salmonella book
(from ASM, edited by Neidhardt et al) in volume 2 which describes a large
number of such selectable markers and gives the references. But th e
bottom line is that there are hundreds (at least), although some do
depend on starting genotype.