Charms (Was: Tracer dyes in agarose gels)

Dennis J. Templeton djt2 at po.CWRU.Edu
Thu Jul 30 10:53:36 EST 1992

In a previous article, themmen at nl.eur.fgg.endov ("Axel P.N. Themmen") says:

> Yes There is such a dye. It is Orange G (Sigma O 1625). We use it instead
> of the bromophenolblue and xylene cyanol in Ficoll based loading dye.
> Works as a charm.
        ^^

Axel probably doesn't have the (?dis)advantage of hearing people say often:
"works *like* a charm", but his version is refreshing and maybe more accurate.

So my question:  Does Orange G function as well as a charm functions, or
is the role of this dye in electrophoresis to provide charm (and other
quarks too?)

I'm hoping the latter, since we could use a little charm.

dennis