Buffer question

Bruce Roe broe at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
Sun Jul 26 07:58:00 EST 1992

In article <14mn4tINNim9 at matt.ksu.ksu.edu>, rdna at matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Paul Paukstelis) writes...

>What is TBE, where can it be ordered, and are there any viable substitutes that
>can be used?  Could EDTA possibly be one of these?
>I'm a senior in high school doing a research project. Funds are short and TBE
>is getting hard to find.  Ohh yeah, what precent solution should the TBE in.
>Thanks a bundle in advance
>
>Paul Paukstelis
>industriaL musiC froM manhattaN kS
>rdna at matt.ksu.ksu.edu

Paul and others:

	A number of years ago we switched to "modified TBE" which
has double the Tris and half the borate as originally described for
polyacrylamide gels.  Here's the composition of a 10-times concentrated
stock solution.  BTW, mTBE gives "cleaner" gels my increasing the
buffering capacity and has a slightly different pH than TBE.

10x Modified Tris-EDTA-borate buffer (mTEB; for polyacrylamide gels):
	162 g. of Tris base, 27.5 g. of Boric acid, 9.3 g. of EDTA,
	distilled water to 1 liter.