Ecoli strains

Hugh Goldie goldie at herald.usask.ca
Thu Jul 23 14:13:26 EST 1992

In article <54853 at mentor.cc.purdue.edu> muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu writes:
>In article <23013.9207231111 at crc.ac.uk>, sbhattac at mrc-crc.ac.uk (Dr. Shoumo Bhattacharya B1 061) writes:
>>Can anyone tell me of a source where I can find E.coli strains and
>>their genotypes? ....
>>Shoumo Bhattacharya
>
>You are likely to find such a list in the Maniatis 3-volume set...
> (nice answer by Peter M. Muriana...

In addition to the sources listed by Dr. Muriana, I suggest:

Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium (1987). Frederick C. Neidhardt,
editor in chief American Society for Microbiology, Washington. - volume 2
has very extensive, though slightly dated, info. on coli genetics, strains,
petigrees.

Bachmann BJ  E Coli Genetic Stock Centre  Yale University.  Phone:
203-432-3535.  Dr. Bachmann is very helpful and knowledgeable if you have
an unusual problem or can not locate a strain through other channels.
Strain requests are dealt with promptly.

Methods in Enzymology has a number of useful articles on molecular biology
techniques, with good strain lists.