Sodium phosphate buffer

waite07 at angis.su.oz.au waite07 at angis.su.oz.au
Tue Jul 21 21:19:10 EST 1992

	When reference is made to sodium phosphate buffer of a particular pH,
what is meant, is a specific ratio of the mono- and di-sodium salts which gives
a correspondingly specific pH value. The ratios can be obtained from;

	Dawson, R. M. C., Elliot, D. C., Elliot, W. H. and Jones, K. M.,
	(1986). Data for biochemical research. 3rd ed. 432. Clarendon
	Press, Oxford.

	In case this reference can not be found, I include the relevant table;

	pH, 25 deg. C	x ml 0.2M Di-sodium	y ml 0.2M mono-sodium
	5.8		4.0			46.0
	6.0		6.15			43.85
	6.2		9.25			40.75
	6.4		13.25			36.75
	6.6		18.75			31.25
	6.8		24.5			25.5
	7.0		30.5			19.5
	7.2		36.0			14.0
	7.4		40.5			9.5
	7.6		43.5			6.5
	7.8		45.75			4.25
	8.0		47.35			2.65
	Original reference;
	 Gomori, after Sorensen, Meth. Enzymol. 1, 143 (1955)

	I usually assume that any dilution of a 0.2M solution will not change
the pH provided that nanopure, or equivalent, water is used.
	I hope this is of some help.

						Alex Jeffries

Alex Jeffries
Plant Virology Lab.
Department of Plant Sciences		waite07 at angis.su.oz.au (129.78.25.38)
Waite Agricultural Research Institute
The University of Adelaide		Tel.;  61  8  372 2392
South Australia
Australia