PCR of large fragments?

John Alsobrook ALSOBROOK at biomed.med.yale.edu
Fri Jul 17 09:55:08 EST 1992

In <3836 at news.duke.edu> cjs at canctr.mc.duke.edu writes:

> >I imagine that this has been covered in the past, but I would
> >like to know what parameters to change in PCR to acheive the
> >amplification of larger fragments (greater than 5 kb). Any suggestions
> >will be appreciated.
> >
> >Ken Garson
>
> I too am interested in this...could you please post this to the NET or Ken if
> you receive some good personal replies, could forward or summarize them for us.
>
> Caryl Schwartzbach
> cjs at canctr.mc.duke.edu

A short methods paper in Nucleic Acids Reserach 20(3):623, 1992, describes
conditions for generating PCR products in th 3kb - 6kb size range. The authors'
basic conclusion was that KCl is bad for big PCR; they use a KCl-free buffer
system, and claim to get several micrograms of 6kb product from 30 cycles,
but their template is a plasmid construct. I'm about to try their system
using genomic DNA as template. I'll try to remember to let you know the
outcome.

*                                       | "Giving money and power to the   *
* John Alsobrook                        |    government is like giving     *
* Child Study Center                    |     whiskey and car keys to      *
* Yale University School of Medicine    |  teenage boys." - P.J. O'Rourke  *
*                       blame me, not my parents!                          *
*                  bitnet: alsobrook at yalemed.bitnet                        *
*               internet:alsobrook at biomed.med.yale.edu                     *