ethanol precipitation

Robert Coelen robert at
Thu Jul 16 22:39:24 EST 1992

In article <1992Jul16.173410.25097 at> skspoidn at (Mike Poidinger) writes:
>wrt EtOh pptn and AmOAc salting,
>Am ions severely inhibit polynucleotide kinase,
>are there any other salts which have similar effects
> on other commonly used enzymes? I include in this
>category salts which co ppt with the DNA and thence inhibit enzymes.
>BTW, I only ever use NaAc for ppting DNA
>Mike Poidinger
>Dept of Microbiology
>University of Reading
>"Spam, spam, spam, kits and spam"
One of the advantages of using ammonium acetate is that it assist in
removal of single nucleotides (and I think also small oligos).
Certainly 2 successive etoh pptns with amm OAc as salt will remove in
excess of 95% of single nucleotides.

Robert Coelen
Dept of Microbiology

"Yuk, who would eat spam !"