HeLa cells origin

John Alsobrook ALSOBROOK at biomed.med.yale.edu
Fri Jul 10 14:40:48 EST 1992

In <Br6EL6.5FH at acsu.buffalo.edu> camdna at ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

> While I'm no authority on the subject, I have heard they were originally
> cultured circa the '50's from a woman named Helen Lane.
>
> (By the way, isn't such information supposed to be confidential?)
>
> 					DN ("can't think of any nifty quotes")

The donor female in question (whatever her actual name might be) is now
deceased; her immortal tumor cells survive her. This typically ends any
obligations of confidentiality.

*                                       | "Giving money and power to the   *
* John Alsobrook                        |    government is like giving     *
* Child Study Center                    |     whiskey and car keys to      *
* Yale University School of Medicine    |  teenage boys." - P.J. O'Rourke  *
*                       blame me, not my parents!                          *
*                  bitnet: alsobrook at yalemed.bitnet                        *
*               internet:alsobrook at biomed.med.yale.edu                     *