Science is not Magic (minipreps)

J. Graham jgraham at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Fri Jul 10 11:19:26 EST 1992

In article <PREVELIG.92Jul9160715 at eastman1.mit.edu>,
prevelig at eastman1.mit.edu (Peter Prevelige) wrote:

> In my estimation the problem with the "kit" mentality is that it leads to
> stagnancy in the development of methods.

This is precicely the point I made, not any suggestion about a prohibition
on the use of kits. It shows clearly in this newsgroup how the use of
materials that have been marketed as "proprietary" has reduced the exchange
of information between workers in the field. Try posting a technique
question
here and the majority of the response you will get will be "we use the XYZ
kit
from ABC, and it works". Remember that buying these "miracle" reagents is
casting an economic vote against the traditional practice of developing new
techniques, and publishing them as scientific correspondence.

Now where's my $50 "research" ice bucket ?

Jim
J. E. Graham
Biology Department
Indiana University
.............."Il n'y a pas des sciences apliquees, mais il y
.................des applications de la science". L.