Science is not Magic (minipreps)

Brian Hjelle bhjelle at vaxine.unm.edu
Thu Jul 9 12:30:45 EST 1992

In article <1992Jul9.063011.21524 at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> jgraham at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (the End) writes:

>Ah. Another example of how commercialization is inhibiting the free
>exchange of information between scientists. If the abilities of this
>resin had been noted five years ago, they would have been published in
>an appropriate journal and available to all of us at a fraction of the
>cost. As it is now, the price of doing research skyrockets.
>
>I'll stick with my alkaline lysis- amonium acetate precipitation
>miniprep thank you. If you need to get even cleaner, take the
>supernatant after resuspending the ethanol pellet in 2 M amonium
>acetate reprecipitate from that.

All too true. You can now buy a kit for just about anything,
from DNA preps to kits that let you go from cells to cDNA
clones. It is a struggle for some of us to decide how long
we can labor with homemade reagents that aren't working before
chucking it and buying a kit.

The problem is that when everyone else is using kits, they
can get their clones that much faster. Hell, some just send
their cells off to Clonetech and have the library custom-
made. I know of several people who have done that and creamed
the competition (ended up with Science and Nature papers).

The new generation of "kit scientists" is upon us. They don't
need to know the biochemistry of proteins or nucleic acids,
just that you mix your bacteria with an aliquot from tube A,
spin, add some tube B....

For the "kit scientists", science *is* magic.

Brian