Transportation of human blood from the Himalayas

Paul N Hengen pnh at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov
Tue Jun 30 14:30:21 EST 1992

In article <1992Jun29.133043.29479 at usenet.ins.cwru.edu> drg2 at po.CWRU.Edu (Diddahally R. Govindaraju) writes:

>One of my friends is an anthropologist, and works on the inhabitants
>of the high altitudes, particularly, Tibetians.  She would like to
>isolate blood from many individuals representing several populations.
>She would like to preserve the blood samples for future use in
>molecular studies.

>She asked me the best method of storing and transporting the blood
>samples for DNA isolation.  Please understand that some of these
>people live in some of the remotest parts of the earth, and it
>could take a few days to mail the blood samples.  I do not know
>the answers.  Could anyone help?
>Thanks,
>Raju

I think you can simply store dried blood samples on filter paper if
they are to be used for PCR work. On the other hand, larger volumes
may be a bit more tricky. Stephen J. O'Brien does quite a bit of
field work with many species of animals. You may want to look at some
of his work for methods.

I just did a Paperchase search for review articles on the subject.
The best I came up within the last 2 years is:

Shanson DC
Blood culture technique: current controversies.
J Antimicrob Chemother (1990 Apr) 25 Suppl C:17-29.

<Bacteriological Techniques> <Blood> <Blood Specimen Collection>
<Culture Media> <Human> <Review> <Review, Tutorial>

This may not be what you want, but it could give you a start...

-Paul.