(none)

Michael W. Smith mws%molly at SDSC.EDU
Fri Jun 26 16:55:01 EST 1992

Fellow sequencers,

     We are about to start sequencing a lot of cosmid ends.  Our past
experience has been spotty success in our sequencing efforts.  I would
like a few suggestions as to how we can improve our success rate.
Here are a few specific questions:

1.  Has anyone out there sequenced cosmids directly on an ABI machine??
    [ABI was able to sequence cosmid DNA in teir research labs but I'm
    not sure if it was on an average (best) day.]
    If so, how much DNA?      with terminators or labeled primers??
    Any other suggestions.

2.  Rumors have it that restricted cosmid DNA sequences better than
    uncut DNA.  I have seen no difference in a few tries.  Does anyone
    care to comment?

3.  We probably will be sequencing most of these cosmid manually, so any
suggestions to increase our success rate would be appreciated.

Thanks,
mike
  *             Salk Institute for Biological Studies               *
  * Molecular Genetics Laboratory     phone: (619)453-4100, ext 376 *
  * P. O. Box  85800                  fax:   (619)558-9513          *
  * San Diego, CA   92138             E-mail: mws at molly.sdsc.edu    *