freedom from RNAse

Thomas L Sims tsims at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Wed Jun 24 21:40:07 EST 1992

In article <3444 at fcs280s.ncifcrf.gov> pnh at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov (Paul N Hengen)
writes:
>In article <01GLJTX7ZE0K00057A at msvax.mssm.edu> BISHOP at MSVAX.MSSM.EDU ("DAVID F
. BISHOP") writes:

>>-Don't let people smoke in the vicinity as there is RNase in the
>> smoke particles (so I've heard).
>

>Does anyone out there know of a study about RNase or any other enzyme,
>protein, or virus that can hitch a ride on smoke particles?
>

>-Paul.

I don't know If it's 100% true (and I don't want to find out!!) but the litany
is that TMV (tobacco mosaic virus) is carried by smoke particles. It's pretty
standard procedure (for all sorts of good reasons) to ban smoking in
greenhouses. TMV infects most all Solanaceae (tobacco, tomato, Petunia, potato)
and I can tell you from painful personal experience that it's a real
pain-in-the-a** to get TMV infection through your research plants. You can get
rid of it, but it's a pain.

Tom Sims