sequencing gels

Bill Melchior, NCTR/FDA wmelchior at NTBTOX.NCTR.FDA.GOV
Wed Jun 24 10:20:30 EST 1992

>I'm having problems with people scratching plates of sequencing gels while
>trying to remove gels that have been dried on the plate.  I believe there
>was a posting on not having to dry gels at all, but I can't find it.
>Could someone in netland forward me that message?

I didn't save those messages.  (As I recall there were quite a few.)

I always dry my gels.  After use, soak overnight in a liter of water with
30-40 ml (dry) Alconox _plus_ 20-30 NaOH pellets, agitated for a few minutes
to dissolve the deteregent & NaOH; I usually start with warm water to
speed things up.  ChemSolve also works, and is liquid so it's easier, but
it's VERY expensive.  I suspect any alkaline detergent would work as well.

The following day, the gels are usually completely free of the plate.  If not,
they can EASILY be scraped off with a razor blade, without danger of
scratching the glass.
The opinions stated are mine, not those of NCTR or its sponsoring organizations.

Bill Melchior                                ||   "You have lawyers the way
National Center for Toxicological Research   ||    other people have mice."
Jefferson, AR  72079                         ||
(501) 543-7206                               ||   -Kenneth Duncan, English
                                             ||    Health & Safety Executive,
WMELCHIOR at NTDOC.NCTR.FDA.GOV                 ||    to US regulators