PCR enzymes

Francis Ouellette francis at monod.biol.mcgill.ca
Tue Jun 23 08:49:43 EST 1992

Joel A. Kreps  (jak8 at po.CWRU.Edu) writes:

>I am shopping for PCR enzymes.  I have received a lot of literature
.
.

> Are there any enzymes I should stay away from (such
> as Vent, which I have been told leaves ragged ends which are un-
> suitable for RE digest and cloning)?

Dear Joel,

if I can come to the defence of NEB (and no, I do not work for them)
they have two different Vent, one with exonuclease correcting activity,
and onw which doesn't.  I assume the exo+ enzyme would not leave ragged
ends.  I also know (from a friend/colleague) that tried to do some in
vitro mutagenesis with an 30mer, and ssDNA and vent (exo+) and the
enzyme chewed back and corrected the oligo to remove the mutation ...
the exo activity works!

regards,

francis

---