freedom from RNAse

Brett Lindenbach Brett_Lindenbach at QMS1.LIFE.UIUC.EDU
Mon Jun 22 10:40:54 EST 1992

                       Subject:                               Time:3:18
PM
  OFFICE MEMO          freedom from RNAse
Date:6/21/92
I have recently been trying to characterize a transcript of a gene of
interest, and have been isolating RNA using the Acid-Guanidium
thiocyanate-Phenol-Chloroform extraction technique of Chomczynski and
Sacchi (Anal. Bioch. 162:156-159 (1987)). However, I have been
experiencing degradation of the RNA, as revealed by form./agarose
electrophoresis. I thought I had been extremely careful in preparing
everything...DEPC treated everything, I have even rinsed the glassware
with chloroform and baked ~150C for 3days, which I thought would kill
any residual RNAses. Still, no luck... you RNA gurus have any advice?
Brett Lindenbach
Univ. Illinois - Dept. Microbiology
brett_lindenbach at qms1.life.uiuc.edu