Mammalian Exon Size: Upper Limit

frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Mon Jun 15 12:42:16 EST 1992

In article <1992Jun10.063428.111224 at rrz.uni-koeln.de> khofmann at biomed.biolan.uni-koeln.de writes:

>What is the size of the smallest introns found in higher eukaryotes?
>I would imagine that, considering current knowledge of the splicing
>process, there should be a definitive lower limit for intron lengths.
>
>or, more generalized, where do those kind people who answer those questions
>get their figures from? Is there any kind of computer program available,
>scanning the databases and giving information of the type mentioned above?
>
>Cheers,
>        Kay

Try the FEATURES program in the XYLEM package. FEATURES can extract any
feature, either by label or feature key, from a set of GenBank entries.
In this case, retrieval using the feature key 'intron' would create a
file containing all introns from a set of GenBank entries. See README
in pub/psgendb at ccu.umanitoba.ca (130.179.16.8) for more information.

Brian Fristensky                |
Department of Plant Science     | "Ya don't have to be a rocket surgeon
University of Manitoba          |  ta know who's who!"
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    |
frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca          |
Office phone:   204-474-6085    |  - the incomparable Don Cherry
FAX:            204-261-5732    |