Gel drying pumps (was:Sequence gel fixing query..)

ww40 William_D_WARREN at UMAIL.UMD.EDU
Wed Jun 10 11:47:00 EST 1992

Jim Graham writes...

>Take the gel dryer and hook it to your regular faucet aspirator. A
>flask to trap backflow is a good idea.
>
>I dried a gel(sequencing) this way today and it was just fine, same time and
>dryness as with the gigantic floorstanding pump we normally use. We
>have a relatively new BioRad dryer so of course your mileage may vary.
>This sure beats destroying one of those nice compact pumps by using it
>for this.

I used to get the vaccuum to dry gels like this for years - but you
waste a HELL OF ALOT OF WATER doing it that way. If you are
doing more than two or three gels per month then I'd go for a mechanical
pump - unless you live in a place where it is always raining (like
Melbourne ;)

Bill Warren