Gel drying pumps (was:Sequence gel fixing query..)

the End jgraham at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
Wed Jun 10 01:07:39 EST 1992

If you don't have a spare $1500 lying about try this. I don't know why
it never occurred to me before.

Take the gel dryer and hook it to your regular faucet aspirator. A
flask to trap backflow is a good idea.

I dried a gel(sequencing) this way today and it was just fine, same time and
dryness as with the gigantic floorstanding pump we normally use. We
have a relatively new BioRad dryer so of course your mileage may vary.
This sure beats destroying one of those nice compact pumps by using it
for this.

Jim Graham
Indiana University
jgraham at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu