Sequence gel fixing query...

Dan Diaz bl275 at cleveland.Freenet.Edu
Sat Jun 6 15:45:40 EST 1992

In a previous article, bugg at mbcf.stjude.org () says:

>For those of you who use P-32 rather than S-35 to sequence, there is no need to
>dry the gel at all.  What we do is separate the plates and trim off any excess
>gel we don't want.  Then, we pick up the gel with an old piece of "junk" X-ray
>film or a piece of Whatman 3M paper, wrap it in Saran wrap and put it in a film
>casette.  You have to be careful never to touch the Saran wrap or the film you
>are exposing with gloves in order to avoid "Saran-Zap", but other than that,
>this method saves a lot of time.

We avoid Saran-Zap during autoradiography by spraying the plastic-
covered gel with Static Guard prior to covering it with film.  It
also keeps scintillation vials from picking up a charge after being
handled with gloves.

--
Dizzy Dan   Department of Biochemistry and Heavy Drinking
Edgar Cayce Western Reserve University School of Medicine
ddiaz at cwru.bitnet   bl275 at cleveland.freenet.edu
"There is no God and Bertrand Russell is his prophet"