making Taq polymerase

Hugo eric at bcserv.wustl.edu
Fri Mar 27 08:25:28 EST 1992

bl275 at cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Dan Diaz) writes:

>If you are using large amounts of polymerase for sequencing or
>whatever, and it is prohibitively expensive to purchase it, there
>is little anyone can do to stop you from doing so, provided you
>aren't setting up a polymerase outlet in your living room.

>If you are at a university or other non-profit institution, it is
>quite unlikely that the amplification gods will go through the
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>expense of suing you.  My guess is that the calls to legal
>departments referred to are little more than intimidation.

>but no one owns DNA polymerase.  They can own the rights
                    ^^^^
>to make and sell it commercially for particular application

>Thank goodness that Arthur Kornberg didn't patent every DNA
>polymerase and any possible use thereof back in the 50's.

     Amen.  Someone finally posted something of a Universal
truth.  I'm a die hard capitalist but allowing patents on naturally
occurring molecules really irritates me.  Patenting the process that
purifies or uses the substance is OK but the actual molecule, no way!
If this continues when is someone going to patent hemoglobin and
start charging all of us royalties?
  Eric R. Hugo, Postdoctoral Research Associate |eric at bcserv.wustl.edu
  Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics|
  Washington University School of Medicine      |
  Box 8231, St. Louis, MO 63110_________________| (314) 362-3342