RNASE PROTECTION

MCDONALD at PSL.WISC.EDU MCDONALD at PSL.WISC.EDU
Tue Mar 10 19:00:00 EST 1992

I'M HAVING A PARTICULAR PROBLEM WITH SOME RNASE PROTECTION EXPERIMENTS THAT
I'VE BEEN CONDUCTING.

NEARLY EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE GOING ALRIGHT EXCEPT THAT THE ARG SHOWS A RATHER
SIZABLE POPULATION (CA. 30) OF PROTECTED FRAGMENTS -- THE LARGEST OF WHICH
IS THE SIZE OF THE EXPECTED PROTECTED FRAGMENT.  WHILE THE EXPECTED FRAGMENT
IS THE MOST ABUNDANT, THE SMALLER ONES ARE FAR FROM SUBTLE.  ALL BANDS
WITHIN A LANE SHOW THE EXPECTED DOSE RESPONSE WITH RESPECT TO TARGET RNA
CONCENTRATION (WHICH IS THE MAJOR REASON I UNDERTOOK THIS PROTOCOL) BUT I
FEEL I NEED TO SURMOUNT THIS PROBLEM OF NUMEROUS BANDS BEFORE I HAVE
PUBLISHABLE RESULTS.  DOES THIS PROBLEM SOUND FAMILIAR TO ANYONE OUT THERE?

I SHOULD ADD THAT PURIFYING THE RIBOPROBE (BY PREPARATIVE GEL ISOLATION) DOES
NOT HELP THIS PROBLEM.  I'M USING BOTH RNASE A AND T1 IN THE RNASE DIGESTION
STEP AND HAVE TRIED A VARIETY OF DIFFERENT INCUBATION TIMES AND TEMPERATURES
-- SAME RESULT.  THE PARTICULAR PROCEDURE I'M USING IS THE ONE FROM CURRENT
PROTOCOLS AND I HAVE ADHERED TO IT FAIRLY RIGOROUSLY TO DATE.

HELPFUL ADVICE WILL BE GREATLY
APPRECIATED.